Monday, September 17, 2012

Home…and Hit the Ground Running

While I was catching up on the backload of emails, there was an invitation to a campaign BBQ for Denny Heck, candidate for Congress in the 10th District.  As in the primary caucus, I wasn’t sure what to expect.  But I made myself presentable and dove once again into politics.

The gathering was at a private residence, so I figured there couldn’t be too many people.  I was right.  I counted about 35 in attendance and I was able to talk with Denny one-on-one.  He was excited to hear that I went to the Democratic Convention and only a bit less excited to hear about the huge numbers of people I met who will not vote.  He gave a short stump speech, focusing on the infrastructure and strengthening the middle class.  Most of the time was spent with him answering questions.  I found him to be easy to talk to and very responsive.  He will be easy for me to vote for.

What excited me even more was a chance to talk with Yoshi Wong.  She is challenging Mike Carrell for State senate in the 28th District.  A long shot, but I like her concerns and experience with education and her stance on the rights of women.  She asked a great question about subsidies to big oil companies.  When I talked with her one-on-one, she was interested in what I do for a living.  She told me that her friends had a small dog that was ‘spoiled’.  Here was a dog that was fed all the right delicacies and carried around on a pillow, yet the dog had an ulcer.  I smiled and said that we can never know what might cause stress in a dog.  Maybe that dog was afraid of heights.

After that, she actually listened when I explained my thoughts about the parallels of canine behavior modification and politics.  There is an authoritarian model and a nurturing model.  Control through fear or guidance though love. She asked if I had a card. I said no, but I would give her my name and number, and wrote a check for her campaign.  I think she might remember me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment