Monday, October 22, 2012

Still on the Ledge (and building a deck?)


In a moment of negligence, I answered my cell phone.  It was Organizing for America, asking if I would help them with their canvassing efforts.  I haven’t been phone banking.  I haven’t gone door to door.  I put up a yard sign and that’s about it.  So, although they didn’t push, my guilty conscience said ‘Yes’.  

Saturday morning, I got up, had my coffee, briefly thought about backing out, and then put on my good pants and went to the coffee shop where they were meeting.  There were only about five people who showed up to go canvassing.   I was relieved to know that the houses had been selected for voters who had voted sporadically democratic in the past.  At least I wouldn’t have to confront any Republicans.  I don’t like confrontation.

I elected to go out by myself.  I was given an area very close to where I live.  Maybe I would get to meet some of my neighbors.  Well, I met five of my neighbors.   Briefly.   “I’m here with Organizing for America to encourage people to vote.  Will you vote?” 
“Yes.”
“Will you support the Democrats?”
“Yes.”
“Will you mail in your ballot early?” 
“Yes.”
“Thank you.”

I went to about 25 houses.  Most people weren’t home, or weren’t answering their door that Saturday morning.   A lovely Saturday morning, and a nice day for a walk.   That is, until my bladder rebelled.  You don’t want to know the details.

I went back to the coffee shop to turn in my clipboard.  One of the men there asked me if I had been at the district caucus last April.  I nodded, and we discussed which precincts we were in.  He said, “Can I put you down for PCO for your district?”  PCO is Precinct Committee Officer.

It sounds really boring, but this is something that I have been thinking about.  Thom Hartmann says we need to be PCOs because that is the position that helps to decide who will run for office.  I considered it, since I was the only one from my precinct who showed up, but discounted it, since I teach on Thursday evenings, when most meetings happen.  I said this to the man who was talking to me and he said a lot of meetings are on Saturdays. 

So, I am still considering it.  A lot depends on the outcome of the November elections.  If Romney wins, will I continue to beat my head against the wall?  If Obama wins, but doesn’t get a House and Senate majority , will I still work for the Democrats?  If McKenna gets the governorship, how will that affect what I do at a local level?

Not sure.  Still teetering on the ledge.  But the view is interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment