Friday, December 14, 2012

Sleeping With the Beast – a book review


From someone I don't know, out of the blue, I was asked to write a book review.  Here it is:

For those of you who know me, you will know that I have a bumper sticker for just about everything.   The one that applies to this book reads:  “667  Neighbor of the Beast”.

I am a veterinarian.  From my earliest days, I have loved the beast.  That is why I was delighted when I saw the book Sleeping With the Beast. 

Sleeping With the Beast is not only written by Dale Ryan, but beautifully photographed by her as well.  Each page is lush with photos of her dogs, her house, her garden and glimpses of the two-leggeds with whom she shares her life.   She gives us an intimate peek into her life with the beasts.

Dale is an artist, not only with the enchanting portrayals of her dogs, but also with creating a space that blends form, function and beauty into a warm, dog-friendly home.  She shares her tips for using flooring, fabric and décor to ease life for the dog-loving homemaker.    

Dale’s love for all creatures shines through the whole book.  She does not shirk from the hard topics of canine aggression or the brutal fact of the death of a pet.   And her general comments on the care and feeding of our beloved companions are well founded and clear.   Her underlying advice is music to my ears.   For any dietary or medical questions, consult your veterinarian.

Sleeping With the Beast is a charming book and an enjoyable read.


No comments:

Post a Comment