Sunday, August 26, 2012

Apologies


Sorry my last post was such a downer.  But you need to know that bleak background to see why I am on this trip.  The other reason for this trip is to connect with those who have created a different kind of life in this nation.

The first stop on my itinerary was Sandhill Farm.  I had failed to note on my printed schedule that there was no address for the farm, just a Box number in Rutledge.  I was further dismayed when the woman at the Missouri Welcome Center had never heard of Rutledge.  So, I trusted my GPS to get me there.  It got me to Edina, where there was construction on a bridge and the highway was closed.  I tried going left and it led to what looked like a driveway.  I turned around and went right and that road ended up in a field.  My GPS was going NUTS!  “Recalculating.  When possible, make a U-turn.  Recalculating.  Turn right, then turn right.  Recalculating.”    So, I turned it off and found a convenience store, which was no small feat in rural Missouri.  They told me which gravel road to take.

Sara met me at Sandhill and gave me a short tour, which included where I would sleep, where to defecate and where the sawdust was to cover said elimination.  She said to listen for the dinner bell and we would gather and stand in circle before eating. 

We also talked about a behavior problem that they were having with their dogs.  The house is only about 20 feet from the county road, and their dogs chase cars.  Two dogs have already been hit.  Hmm…  Maybe I can help with that.   So we had a good conversation about egalitarianism in dog training as well as living with people.  I gave her my copy of Kathy Sdao’s book, Plenty in Life is Free.  An excellent book.  I highly recommend it.

There are about 10 members of Sandhill.  It has been around since 1974 and there is one original member there.  His name is Laird and I did not meet him, since he is traveling to the Communities Conference and will be presenting there.  Since Sandhill is so small, decision making is very loose.  They have a weekly meeting with check-in before the agenda. 

Most of the people here seem very young to me.  There is one (besides Laird) who is in his 60s, but most are in their 20s or early 30s at the most.  This is good, since there is a lot of energy needed to run an income-producing farm. 

I brought up the subject of politics, hesitantly, but they were willing to discuss how they felt.  Most of the issues are very local and concern farming practices.  They are surrounded by a lot of big ag land.   We also discussed how each came to be living this lifestyle.  Most of them knew someone who knew someone. 

The four egalitarian communities I will visit on my way to Louisa, are all in Missouri.  I asked someone why that is so, and they said, “The land is cheap.”  It is rolling hills and not very conducive to large agricultural machinery.  It is beautiful country.  It is also hot.  Today has cooled considerably, down to the mid 70s.  But humid.  That is what is draining me of my energy.  I brought a battery-operated fan, and have already gone through one set of batteries.  I am such a wuss…

2 comments:

  1. The following comment from a friend who couldn't post:

    Been following your blog with interest. (A nice plain vanilla comment). But
    really don't you think in this society, we're too damn apologetic all for
    the wrong reasons? I get very few responses to the stuff I send to others -
    must be that "silent majority". A surreal painting my sister did decades
    ago is imbedded in my fore thoughts because it sez it all about our
    society: naked men & women are walking back & forth on a sandy ocean beach.
    Each one has a blindfold on, yet they each hold in their hand in front of
    their faces a vanity mirror. -- We see want we want to see and blind
    ourselves to everything else. THAT, in essence, IS the American dream. Joe
    Baegent was right - we live in a hologram.


    Below is one of my most favorite poems:




    Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy's Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota

    Over my head, I see the bronze butterfly,
    Asleep on the black trunk,
    blowing like a leaf in green shadow.
    Down the ravine behind the empty house,
    The cowbells follow one another
    Into the distances of the afternoon.
    To my right,
    In a field of sunlight between two pines,
    The droppings of last year's horses
    Blaze up into golden stones.
    I lean back, as the evening darkens and comes on.
    A chicken hawk floats over, looking for home.
    I have wasted my life.


    James Wright

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Louisa,

    Thanks for the shout-out for my book! I love thinking that it might help the folks at Sandhill.

    I'm following your posts with great interest, and praying you find everything you need to sustain you -- body & soul -- on this journey.

    Kathy S

    ReplyDelete