Friday, August 24, 2012

The Ledge


I like to multi-task.  It gives me a feeling of efficiency.  You know how it goes.  Listen to books on tape while driving, eat breakfast while answering emails, read a book while my nails dry.  Well, this trip is also a multi-task trip.  Besides the Democratic National Convention, I am also going to a conference on community.  Here is the link:


It is being held at Twin Oaks, a community in Louisa, Virginia.  How could I not go?  But it is not just because of my name.  I have even been to Louisa before on a prior trip.  No, my main reason in going is to learn about how to build community.  This is an imminent need.  Before I left town, I signed papers to buy forest acreage on the Olympic Peninsula.  And if the other people funding this come through, we will have formed an official community by the time I return. 

This is my ledge.

The questions that face me right now are whether I will remain engage in the political process or even remain living in our toxic culture.  Or will I jump ship, boogie on out and go live in the woods.  This is what this trip is about for me.  I am scrutinizing the political process in the US, as well as examining the pitfalls of going to live in a hippie commune.

Sometimes, the thought of just sitting in a tree and not multi-tasking looks pretty good.







No comments:

Post a Comment