Thursday, August 30, 2012

Consensus

I am at Eastwind today, preparing to leave for the Communities Conference at Twin Oaks. I will be having four passengers, so there has been a lot of discussion about when to leave and how to spend the 16 hours from Tecumseh, Missouri to Louisa, Virginia. I was thinking about staying at a motel, since I didn’t want to drive for 16 hours and I wasn’t sure about someone else driving. Besides, I want to talk with these people and it is hard to talk when someone is sleeping in the back seat.

So, one of the cos (that’s community speak for designation of an individual without specifying gender), wasn’t to be dropped of in Tennessee at his grandparents. His name is Loki or Aries or Matt. I’m not really sure, but for obvious reasons, I favor Loki. It turns out that we can spend the night at his grandparents house and leave for Louisa in the morning. Now what time we leave in the morning depends on Wren. She lives at Twin Oaks and has a shift there that afternoon. Sabrina thought we would be leaving late tonight, like around midnight and has not packed yet or finished a presentation for a job interview on Monday, so she has been lobbying for a later departure.

So this has been an exercise in consensus.

Eastwind is very different from the communities I have visited so far. I am preparing an in-depth analysis. I feel kind of like Alexis de Tocqueville. He spent 10 months in the US and wrote almost 700 pages. So, by extrapolation, my 3 weeks should turn into about 50 pages.

Page one. I am born.

2 comments:

  1. Trying to post as anonymous, although it is me, Pam! Love the de Tocqueville comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So posting as anonymous worked.... I laughed out loud at this Consensus posting. And is the "I am born" from David Copperfield? Cobi doesn't use email much, but I will let him know about your blog--I think he would like it.

    ReplyDelete